Blockchain Gaming Watchlist
Big Time is a free-to-play, multiplayer action RPG game that combines fast-action combat and an adventure through time and space.
- Bigtime does not have a token currency at this time, but does have in-game utility NFTs and cosmetics.
- It’s the closest thing to a ‘Web3 World of Warcraft’ we’ve seen yet, being in the MMORPG genre.
- The team composition is excellent, with ample experience working on successful prolific web2 games like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft.
- The CEO of Bigtime, Ari Meilich, is the also founder of Decentraland.
Illuvium is a decentralized studio building an Interoperable Blockchain Game (IBG) universe including an open-world exploration game, industrial city builder, and autobattler, all on the Ethereum blockchain.
- Co-founders Keiran and Aaron Warwick, are the brothers of Synthetix Protocol founder Kain Warwick.
Illuvium is building 3 inter-connected games:
- Illuvium Overworld: Capture Illuvials, mine resources, harvest exotic plants, and help your crash-landed crew flourish as you discover the cataclysmic events that lead to this planet’s destruction. (Similar to Pokemon)
- Illuvium Arena: Curate your best team, challenge opponents, and outsmart the competition in a jaw-dropping, high-stakes Autobattle chaos. (Similar to Dota 2 Chess)
- Illuvium Zero: Build, upgrade, and manage your digital industrial complex. Find biodata, create blueprints, and extract scarce resources needed by other players. (Similar to Sim City or Civilization V)
Otherside is a gamified, interoperable metaverse currently under development. The game blends mechanics from massively multiplayer online role playing games (MMORPGs) and web3-enabled virtual worlds. Think of it as a metaRPG where the players own the world, your NFTs can become playable characters, and thousands can play together in real time.
- Otherside is an an MMORPG/Metaverse being built by Yuga Labs, the founders of Bored Ape Yacht Club.
- Yuga recently hired Daniel Alegre, who was formerly the CEO of Activision Blizzard, the company behind World of Warcraft, the most prolific MMORPG of all time.
The Sandbox is a virtual world where players can build, own, and monetize their gaming experiences on the Ethereum blockchain using SAND, the platform’s utility token. The vision is to offer a deeply immersive metaverse in which players will create virtual worlds and games collaboratively and without central authority.
- The Sandbox is one of the most well-known ‘metaverse’ plays, but it’s high valuation has attracted scrutiny as the platform has been averaging under 1,000 daily active users.
Decentraland is a 3D virtual world browser-based platform. Users may buy virtual plots of land in the platform as NFTs via the MANA cryptocurrency, which uses the Ethereum blockchain. It was opened to the public in February 2020, and is overseen by the nonprofit Decentraland Foundation.
- Like the Sandbox, Decentraland is a well-known ‘metaverse’ play, but has also failed thus far to acquire over 1,000 daily active users.
- The founder of Decentraland is currently working on Bigtime.
Treasure is a decentralized gaming ecosystem bringing games and players together through MAGIC.
MAGIC is the currency of the Treasure ecosystem that serves as cross-metaverse monies within the common economic layer.
MAGIC was designed to be increasingly scarce (emissions declining as complexity of the economy increases), as it weaves an ever-growing web of narrative bridges within Treasure’s ecosystem of metaverses.
Players are able to earn and use MAGIC through playing Bridgeworld (one of Treasure’s flagship products) and other game cartridges. Staked MAGIC in the Atlas Mine also enables holders to govern the broader Treasure ecosystem.
- MAGIC has a large surface as multiple games use it. More games means more demand and more chances to go viral.
- MAGIC helps game developers by having a pre-fabricated token economy supported by an ecosystem of games. Game devs do not have to design an entire token for their game from scratch.
- By joining the Treasure ecosystem, game devs forgo the ability to completely customize the currency for their game.
STEPN is a Web3 lifestyle app with inbuilt Game-Fi and Social-Fi elements, built around essential daily activities for most people – moving around.
Users equip themselves with NFTs in the form of Sneakers. By walking, jogging, or running outdoors, users will earn game currency, which can either be used in-game, or cashed out for profit.
- Stepn has already seen a massive hype cycle, which resulted in a large price crash.
- Stepn has game-fi elements, but is not a traditional video game, so may not see a bid in a blockchain gaming narrative.
- Stepn’s token, GMT, has a low circulating supply, making it prone to short term pumps with large drawdowns as high inflation kicks in.
Star Atlas is a grand strategy game of space exploration, territorial conquest, and political domination built on Solana.
- Star Atlas, built on Solana, did its NFT sale at the peak of the Solana’s hype cycle, leading to very high valuations.
- Star Atlas is one of the most anticipated games on the Solana blockchain.
AURORY is a free-to-play, tactical, turn-based JRPG built on the Solana blockchain. Players are invited to explore a rich and diverse universe where they will travel across the worlds of Antik and Tokané as they complete quests, discover lost relics, defeat enemies, and compete against other players using creatures called “Nefties".
- Aurory is another Solana game that launched in the bull market frenzy that has continued to build through poor bear market price action.
Gala is an entertainment company focused on pioneering the games, music, and film industries. Gala was founded in 2019 by Eric Schiermeyer, one of the co-founders of Zynga. Under Schiermeyer’s leadership, Zynga launched popular hits like Poker, Mafia Wars, and Farmville. Now focusing his efforts on Gala, the Gala team has grown to include the brilliant minds behind popular titles such as Command and Conquer, Doom, Unreal, Halo, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty, and many more.
- GALA has a very low circulating supply, making it prone to large, unsustainable pumps followed by large sell offs from token emissions.
- GALA price action has a history of leading blockchain gaming rotations (other blockchain gaming tokens pump after GALA does).
Vulcan Forged is a non-fungible token (NFT) game studio, marketplace, and dApp incubator with 10+ games, a 20000+ community, and top 5 NFT marketplace volume.
- Vulcan Forged has a strong user base with over 100,000 active users as of February 2023.
Treeverse is a top-down open-world classless MMORPG built for mobile with social features and an emphasis on cooperative gameplay.
In the Arboros continent, you own the assets you spend time grinding for.
Start your journey in the city of Elderwall that is protected by the World Tree and immerse yourself in this world of mythical creatures surrounded by Jovians and Sidhe. Forge unique weapons with primal energy and slay bosses to test your skills.
Neo Tokyo is a networking group for people who want to develop the gaming metaverse. It also is a group that builds utilities that help this goal via applications and tools the community uses and powers with the crypto token $BYTES.
- Neo Tokyo was co-founded by two prolific YouTube and Twitter influencers: EllioTrades & Alex Becker.